Africa Regional Workshop on the Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation Post-Monitoring Results and Preparations for the 2nd High Level Meeting (HLM2)
14-16 September 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Africa Regional Workshop on the Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation organized by The NEPAD Agency and the African Union Commission which leads the coordination of the Africa positions on development effectiveness of which effective development cooperation is a part. In this role, the NEPAD Agency and African Union Commission represents Africa in the Steering Committee of the Global Partnership for Effective Development Co-operation, and are facilitating the preparation of Africa’s common position and consensus that will feed into the Second HLM. The review of progress in implementing commitments on effective development co-operation will inform the formulation of key political messages and overall common position to guide Africa’s engagement at the high level meeting.
OBJECTIVES AND EXPECTED OUTCOMES
The objectives of the workshop are three-fold:
1. Review progress in implementing commitments on effective development cooperation and challenges related to commitments on development effectiveness principles, taking stock of monitoring process itself, sharing experiences and lessons with the aim that global monitoring efforts support are embedded in national accountability frameworks.
2. Discuss broad parameters for a refined monitoring framework. Consider proposed parameters for a refined monitoring framework at technical level, drawing on practical experience monitoring and managing development cooperation at country level. This discussion will further inform future work on a refined monitoring framework and the HLM outcome document consultation.
3. Formulate Africa’s common position and consensus on development effectiveness priorities, drawing on but not limited to the monitoring findings and country implementation of SDGs to feed into the Nairobi HLM2 outcomes.
Presentations and plenary discussions at the consultation aim to be strongly anchored in country level experiences and emphasis will remain focused on promoting coherence between the agendas on Effective Development Cooperation, FfD and to the 2030 Agenda, as well as, the Agenda 2063. The discussions will reflect the various contexts in the region such as implications for fragile and post-conflict contexts, significance for MICs, LDCs and SIDs, and include opportunities to discuss strengthening modalities and policy environments to promote South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
The consultation will result in the following outputs:
- Demonstrated impacts of monitoring on effective development co-operation and multi-stakeholder coordination and dialogue at country and regional levels;
- Africa’s common position and consensus on development effectiveness priorities to be brought to the HLM2 and key messages to be highlighted from the region’s experiences of FfD and GPEDC;
- Recommendations on broad parameters for refined monitoring framework, including strengthened monitoring process - Regional recommendations on the outcome document of the HLM 2.
- Regional positions in the mandate of the Global Partnership for Effective Development Co-operation.
Key political messages (EN/FR) developed at this meeting can be downloaded below.